Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Halloween: IV

Here are my living room decorations:

The back corner of the living room. You can see the "Boo" sign on the office door. The little lamp on the end table stands on a pile of Halloween-appropriate books. On the bookcases are 3 black cat tealight holders I got at a yard sale this summer. They have flameless tea lights in them. I used flameless tealights almost everywhere this year, so that I could put lights in places that I couldn't put candles, like the corner cabinet, and for fear the kittens would burn down the house.
Photobucket

The other side of the couch. I draped a fun scarf that my mother-in-law gave me over the lampshade, just like I did the little lamp on the other side. On the end table are a Halloween tin from Goodwill that holds the remotes, a great black ceramic tray I bought at a craft show last year, and a wonderful box which is covered in orange velvet and has a big spider on top. It was a gift from Laura and holds potpourri.
Photobucket

The top of the entertainment center. Please ignore the general dippiness of the entertainment center, it did not fare well in our last two moves. There are a couple of snow globes from HomeGoods last year, one given to me by my friend, Beth, two brass candelabras that I bought at a rummage sale for $1 and painted black (I still need to get tapers for them), two coffee table books that are great for Halloween - Nightmares in the Sky (gargoyles) and Disney Villains, a monster tin, an animated ghost and Scooby Doo, a haunted house candle, a wonderful WoodWick candle sitting in a cemetery fence enclosure that I bought at a yard sale, and a big jar filled with candy corn and pumpkins and holding my Halloween magic wand. Propped on the speaker above is a great metal sign my husband scored for me at a store in Jim Thorpe, PA this summer.

Photobucket

This is the front corner of the living room, to the right of the entertainment center, looking into the entry way and front door. The tall bookcase holds my collection of paranormal fiction, which soon will need another bookcase. On it also sits the Halloween drawing book Laura gave me, the Vampire Haiku book I bought in Florida this summer, and my vampire Angel puppet, who lives there all year. On the chair is a pillow with a beautiful Halloween pillow cover I bought on Etsy last month, from Shana at asmushomeinteriors. The DVD bookcase has an electric jack-o-lantern on top, along with an Amy Brown Halloween fairy print, a Happy Halloween sign I bought in Jim Thorpe, and a moon and stars Scentsy wax warmer that I got from my friend, Jeri. It makes my house smell great.
Photobucket

And one of my favorite Halloween things, my Department 56 Halloween Snow Village. I've only been collecting these pieces for the last few years, so it's still very small. I love my village, the buildings are gorgeously detailed. My husband buys me a new piece every year and my mom has started giving me pieces for Christmas, so my collection continues to grow. The village sits on my library table, which is draped with a piece of black fabric with glittery spiderwebs on it. The bottom shelf of the table holds some new Halloween boxes from my mother-in-law, plus a fabulous Halloween ribbon spool album I got from sarahsdesigns78 on Etsy. Underneath the table is a basket with a bunch of Halloween magazine issues in it. I particularly like "Country Living" Halloween issues, and I've bought quite a few at yard sales.

Photobucket

 So there's my living room. I tried to get some dark, candlelit pictures, but either my skill or my camera are not up to the task. I might have some friends visiting for Halloween (more on that later) and a couple of them are talented photographers, so I thought I'd see if they could do it.
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your house looks fantastic! Too many things to comment on! :D Your village, as always, looks appropriately spooky. :) I especially love the top of your entertainment center -- it's beautiful! The candelabras look awesome, even without candles. I also really like the new pillow and the spool-book, what a cool idea.

    As for photos without flash, if you haven't yet, try propping the camera on a stationary surface, and setting the timer. That way you reduce any camera shake that comes from your hands/breathing/etc. You may have to set some books on a chair to get the height you want, or something like that. Unless, of course, you have a tripod, then I would use that. :) But I prop my camera on things all the time. They still may not turn out perfectly, but it's something to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) Thanks for the suggestions about the camera, too. I think I have to figure out how to have a longer exposure time, in addition to the camera shake issue. Right now, all my pictures are just black spaces with spots of light in them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me feel appreciated. :-) I do moderate them, however, just to protect myself and my readers from trolls (the human kind, not the Norse kind, who are welcome to comment).