Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Mini-Vacation

Last Wednesday I didn’t have classes because of Veteran’s Day. Mr. MC decided to take the day off, too (shock and awe), so we spent the day together. We went to Cracker Barrel for brunch and then we went to Mill Creek Park. First we went to Lanterman’s Mill. It was built in 1845 and it still operates as a mill. It wasn’t open, but we walked down to it and took in the scenery.

The mill:

Mill and Waterfall

 

Alongside the mill was a bird feeder with at least a dozen birds fluttering around it. I think they were all sparrows. I tried to get a picture of them, but you can’t really see them:

Bird feeder

 

It was a beautiful sunny day, although windy and cold:

Trees and Sky

 

Looking south from the mill was a pretty covered bridge:

Other end of covered bridge

 

Looking north was an arched bridge for cars:

Arched bridge

 

After we spent some time at the mill, we drove down the park further and found a bench overlooking a lake:

Lake

 

There were lots of geese in the lake and some obligingly swam right past us. I tried to get a picture of them, too, but again you couldn’t see them. Too bad my phone camera doesn’t have a telephoto lens.

We sat on the bench for a while, sometimes talking, sometimes just sitting quietly soaking up the sun. It was lovely. Eventually I could no longer feel my face because it was cold, so we got in the car and went home for a nap.

It felt like a real vacation.

1 comment:

I love comments, they make me feel appreciated. :-) I do moderate them, however, just to protect myself and my readers from trolls (the human kind, not the Norse kind, who are welcome to comment).