Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dollhouse: Belonging

We just caught up on our Dollhouse episodes, as we were a couple of weeks behind. Now, after seeing "Belonging" I'm having trouble settling to anything, so I figured I'd come try to write my thoughts about it.

I cried through the last third of it, I guess. It was an extremely powerful episode. I'm not sure yet how I feel about it, other than disturbed. It was supposed to be disturbing, of course. Having been in an abusive relationship with a man who made me think I was crazy at times, I'm not surprised I'm having such a strong reaction to it. Yet, surprisingly, even more than what happened with Sierra, it's Topher that I'm reacting to the most.

Topher. I've said all along he's the most evil person in the dollhouse. That arrogant brilliance. Adele stated it perfectly in the episode: he had no morals, humans were toys to him. We saw the first real crack in him in the first episode of this season, during the fabulously written and acted scene with him and Whisky/Dr. Saunders. Now, in "Belonging", he's turned into an entirely new person, at least in my eyes. His facial expressions all the way through, beautifully acted by Fran Kranz, just ripped my heart open. I think what I'm reacting to is a loss of innocence. Yes, it was an evil, arrogant innocence. Still.

After saying all that, what I have to say is I still have no words for what I'm feeling about that episode. I don't know if I could bear to watch it again. I know I won't be able to stop thinking about it. It must be a Joss Whedon show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel appreciated. :-) I do moderate them, however, just to protect myself and my readers from trolls (the human kind, not the Norse kind, who are welcome to comment).