Monday, November 16, 2009

In the presence of bravery

On Saturday, Mr. MC and I went to a wedding reception for some friends of ours. They got married at the end of October in Connecticut, where it is now legal for same sex couples to be married. The party was their opportunity to share their joy with friends and family back home in Ohio.

It was a nice party. The grooms were giddy, like newlyweds should be. They both looked so happy, it was impossible not to feel happy in their presence. Someone toasted their bravery in making a public statement of their love for each other. He was right, it was brave of them.


But I was even more impressed at how many of their friends brought their children to the party, from toddlers to teens. They were brave, too. How wonderful that they are willing to show their children that marriage is a beautiful, wonderful, normal thing, regardless of the sex of the partners. Those people are truly changing the world. Their children will grow up wondering why gay marriage isn't legal everywhere. "What's the big deal?" they'll say.


In a society where some people might accuse those parents of mistreating their children, I applaud their bravery and loyalty to their friends. I can look forward with hope to a future where such children grow up to be leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me feel appreciated. :-) I do moderate them, however, just to protect myself and my readers from trolls (the human kind, not the Norse kind, who are welcome to comment).