Monday, July 5, 2010

Finally!

I’ve been working on these chairs for a month. Sheesh! I thought they’d never be done. There were some paint issues, then there were some more paint issues, then there were some clear coat issues, and some more clear coat issues. They still have clear coat issues, but I’m calling them done, because I want chairs for my dining area. So, here’s the before pictures:
IMG_0171
IMG_0172
I got all four of these chairs from one seller on Craigslist. They were $10 each. The top two are allegedly from Crate and Barrel. I liked the basic shapes and three of the four were good and sturdy. One of the Crate and Barrel chairs was rickety, so I learned how to take it apart and reglue the joints. Now it’s solid, too. I’m excited at being able to do that. I’ve gotten rid of a lot of rickety chairs that I liked over the years, because I didn’t know how to fix them. Now I won’t have to do that anymore. I also won’t have to pass up used chairs that I like because they aren’t sturdy. Coolness!
Here are my new dining chairs:
IMG_0329
(You can see that Treat approves of them.) I’ve been thinking a lot about color schemes. I like changing my decor out for the seasons, and I like lots of different colors, so I thought for the big pieces I’d go for classic neutral finishes and colors. That should allow me to change things out as much as I want.
The fabric on these is a luscious linen. Right after I recovered the seats, I found another fabric at Joann ETC that I liked even better, maybe. I had to buy that, too, so I might make chair skirts out of it. Or use it for a bench cushion. I’m not sure yet. I will be redoing the bench to match the chairs.
And here’s the before and after of my dining area:
IMG_0327
Yuck, those folding chairs. So uncomfortable! We’ve been sitting on them for about 5 years. I’m so glad they’re going.
IMG_0332
So much better. I heart my new chairs.

Oh, yeah. I'm hoping to put this one on BNotP's Metamorphosis Monday, so don't forget to check out the other cool metamorphoses. Is that the plural of metamorphosis?

4 comments:

  1. I like them. $40 is great deal. I just painted my table black and found the perfect bench to go with it and painted it black too. I haven't posted it yet because I still have to clear coat. Cute Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are GORGEOUS! I can imagine how happy you are! The cushions look great, though I need a close up of the fabric. :) Going to paint the bench black too? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! Making the chairs neutral was a good idea...but the black still makes them perfect Halloween chairs :p I also like that they're two different designs but with the same basic shape. (And it looks like curvy-people bottoms will actually fit comfortably, hehe.)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me feel appreciated. :-) I do moderate them, however, just to protect myself and my readers from trolls (the human kind, not the Norse kind, who are welcome to comment).